Monday, November 14, 2005

Load up the van, boys. Moving Day Approaches!

Yes, my house finally sold and I’m thrilled, nervous, and losing sleep. I’m buying a house that’s half the size, and is only 15 minutes away from work. My current commute takes 45 minutes in the morning and 1.5 hours each night. Think of all the things I plan on doing with this extra time!! I plan on actually going to the gym after work, as there shouldn’t be any excuses not to swing by the gym to get sweaty.

I’ve been postponing having my son attend preschool, because I couldn’t commit to being home by 6:30 to pick him up, and I really didn’t want him bonding with teachers and classmates, then have to pull him out of the school to relocate to a different city. So, when the move’s complete he’ll attend a little neighborhood preschool that’s right around the corner from the new home.

I’ll be moving the nanny with me, if she doesn’t find a new gig. The plan is to have her move in with my sister’s brother-in-law’s family. They’re expecting a second baby in the coming months and are trying to sell their tiny home and get bigger digs to accommodate babies and a nanny. But, alas, their real estate deal fell through, so they’re stuck in the small house with no room for a nanny for the time being.

The nanny will be sleeping on the couch or an air mattress after the move, as I’m downsizing from a 4 bedroom to a 3 bedroom, selling my master bedroom furniture and I’ll be using her bed as my own. Juggling space planning issues, personnel issues…it’s just like corporate life.

I wish I had the life I planned on: being the stay at home mom and loving wifey. Ahh, but real life turned out vastly different than my dream life. I play the corporate game, but my heart’s not in it. I’d much rather be with my kids, playing with them, driving them to school, making lunches, having dinner on the table..all that Betty Crocker kind of stuff. Forget liberal feminism for me. My kind of feminism means being the woman God intended me to be, so I’ll continue to make lemonade outta my life lemons. I found a good recipe in my Betty Crocker Cookbook for Life.

5 comments:

Jamie Dawn said...

I'm thrilled you sold your house! The short drive to work will be such a great change. I've had my share of lemons too, so we both will keep churning out the lemonade together.

acw said...

Hey, Feminism is all about choosing to be the woman you want to be, so if that means Betty Crocker stuff, more power to you.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the new house.

About your last paragraph: I read that MANY women feel the same way.

Did you know that two-thirds of female MBA grads don't work full time? 95% of male MBAs do!

Anonymous said...

I love June Cleaver. For real.

Kelly said...

Wish you smooth moving. Prepare in advance and consider different options. From my experience, I do think that this whole man and van service is a great idea as it is cheaper than van hire by far. Here are just a few things that you have to think about when you hire a van and Extra Pair of professional hands.(you don’t get this with van hire) and No need for large cash deposit.(you don’t have to pay this with man van service) and No need to bother returning the vehicle.(you don’t have to do this with van and man service) and you can get trolleys for those heavy items.(you don’t get this with van hire)