Wednesday, November 08, 2006

what's in a name?















after almost a year in my new abode i've finally bonded with a neighbor. our kids get along, our dogs don't fight and we both share an ardent connection with italy, tuscany and venice. we've already made a giggly girl pack to re-visit Venice together....someday.

but what i can't keep straight are the names of her daughter and her dog. one's Bella- one's Gigi. i grew up knowing a girl named Gigi and a once-upon-a-time family member had a dog named Belle. i have to say, i'm a bit afraid of offending her by calling her daughter by the dog's name - and *poof* there goes my newly formed friendship.

i know that there's a trendy trend to name one's pet with a 'people' name - Eric, Elizabeth, Roger, etc... in fact, i once had a cat named Sam. but doncha think it gets confusing for the general public? it used to be Fido, Spot and Rex. now it's Ashley, Bob and Paul.

it gets sillier. i had a dog named Cheyenne. there's a little girl named Cheyenne at my son's school.

when did names get so interchangeable? personally i find it very confusing.

8 comments:

Edge said...

( as Homer Simpson ) Mmmmmm Kate Winslet ....

~Jef

Violet said...

That's pretty funny. My cats' names are Ariel and Jasmine, after the Disney characters, of course. But, there are a lot of young girls with those names. I guess I figured I didn't want to name a child after a cartoon character.

Saur♥Kraut said...

The new trend in giving animals the names of people: I read a study on it recently, alleging that it's an outgrowth of the increased sense of loneliness/disconnection that many people now have. They have no kids, or the kids are grown up, and their pets are "little people", the next best thing.

Amie Barnett said...

I have a dog named Al, but if it's any consolation to you, he thinks his name is Hey Al.

theresa said...

My dog's name is Kage.

Ellen said...

No animals here.... but I do have pet names for hubby and son.

TheCleaningWoman said...

Does this mean I shouldn't refer to the Janitor as Fido either?

The dog in that last picture must be Paris, right?

No human names for pets here except for Charlie the cat - who HAD to be named that on account of her Chaplin moustache.

sookeyjane said...

my cat cleo is offended by this thread